Monday, October 10, 2011

Gymnastics!

FYI…I wrote the entry below on Saturday, but our wireless router stopped working.  We replaced it Sunday, and we’re up and running now…
Last Saturday Miss Addy started gymnastics class.  Gymnastics class was one of those things I had been anticipating as a mommy…her first structured extra-curricular activity with other little people!  Her class only has 3 kids in it- a super cute little blonde boy who will be 2 years old in 3 months, a girl who will be 3 years old in 3 months (she  has also taken 12 weeks of the class already), and of course, Sister.  Did it go exactly as I had envisioned?  Hell no.  Was it still an amazing mommy moment?  Hell yes. 
This morning was her second class.  I held off last week on posting anything about it because I didn’t have enough photos, and I honestly wasn’t sure what I wanted to say.  Here’s what I’m realizing when it comes to our spirited little two year old…if she’s going to do something, she’s going to do it ALL THE WAY.  If she’s going to walk on the balance beam or swing from a bar, she’s going to rock it.  Like squeal with giggles and explode with energy, rock it.  If she’s going get upset because it’s not her turn, she’s going to throw a tantrum.  Like tears streaming, arms flailing, tantrum.  In her defense (and ours), she is two years old and you can pretty much count the number of hours she has spent playing with kids her age on one hand.  It was frustrating and embarrassing and laughable and one of those times we’ll never forget…just looking at each other, thinking, “This cannot be our Addy.”  While sending her to the grandmas’ houses instead of a daycare center has made her incredibly smart and confident, she is not used to the idea of sharing the spotlight, much less, taking turns.  I didn’t want to ruin the experience for the other little gymnasts, and I didn’t want to remove Addy from the fun learning experience.  So while we were there, we tried to talk over her tantrum about the magic of taking turns and we cheered on the other kids. 
I left the gym upset that it didn’t go as planned, worried about Addy, and stressed about the other kids.  I instantly thought about a good friend who told me, at least you care.  You’re doing something right if you care.  I know there are parents who would lose it on their child in that situation or not bring them back to the gym or just not care at all and let them ruin the fun for everyone.  We care and we’re trying.  After her nap last Saturday, we went over to my grandparents’ house and picked up a balance beam that my grandpa made for me 15 years ago.  We brought it home, and let’s just say, Addy has seen a lot of Jason and me on the balance beam this week.  We figure the best way to grasp the concept of taking turns is practice.  So that’s precisely what we’re doing.  We’re clapping for dad as he dismounts the beam and waiting as patiently as a two year old can for “Addy’s turn!” Like I said, we care and we’re trying.  And ya know what?  The proof is in the puddin’ because today was about 100 times better than it was last week.  It was exactly like what I had pictured.  I left the gym almost crying because I was so proud of our smart, sweet little girl who catches on…quick.  Not only did she take turns, high five the other kids and impress her coach with her ability to flip over the bar, but she did it in true Addy style…squealing with giggles and exploding with energy.  People were looking at her again this morning, but for a completely different reason than last week.  It was one of those moments where I felt honored to have been chosen to be her mommy.  I’m proud that we’re flexing our parenting muscles and doing what we can to turn her into a pretty freaking awesome little person.
Here are some pics from both weeks...
She looooves the ballpit! 

She's pretty awesome at bars... 

and even better at balance beam (when she's not checking out the cutie)!  :) 

Cheeese!  

Somersaults! 

Back-walkovers...

and more somersaults! 

Girlfriend is lovin it!

Brother was all about watching for the first half and then he decided it was nap time!

No comments:

Post a Comment